Lowes Water, Cumberland
Lowes Water, a township, an ecclesiastical parish, and a lake in Cumberland. The township lies 7 miles S of Cocker-mouth, and about 3 from UUock station on the Wbitehaven, Cleator, and Egremont Joint railway, has a post office under Cockermouth; money order office, High Lorton; telegraph office, Cockermouth; and contains the hamlets of Mockerkin and Sosgill. Acreage, 9226 of land and 190 of water; population, 338. Much of the surface is upland, and a large proportion is picturesque. Lead ore occurs in the hills, and Lydian stone is found. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1886. Population, 387. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle; net value, £140 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Lonsdale. The church was rebuilt in 1827, and restored in 1884. It is in the Gothic style, and occupies the site of an ancient chapel founded by a prior of St Bees. There are a church school at Lowes Water and an endowed school, built about 1781, at Mockerkin. The lake lies on the SW side of the ecclesiastical parish, in a vale projecting laterally westward from the head of the vale of Lorton, and flanked on the N side by Low Fell, on the S side by Blake Fell, is about 1 mile long, less than half a mile wide, and about 60 feet deep; sends its superfluence 1½ mile to Crummock Water, and shares in that lake's mountain scenery.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Cockermouth|
|Ward||Allerdale above Derwent|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Lowes Water from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Loweswater)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
Villages, Hamlets, &cMockerkin
The Visitation of Cumberland, 1615 is available on the Heraldry page.