UK Genealogy Archives logo

Street or Strete, Devon

Historical Description

Street or Strete, an ecclesiastical parish in Devonshire, formed out of the parish of Blackawton in 1881. It has a post office under Dartmouth; money order office, Torcross; telegraph office, Stoke Fleming. Population, 392. It sends three members to the Blackawton parish council. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Exeter; gross value, £95. Patron, the Bishop of Exeter. The church is a building of stone in the Gothic style, built in 1836. A fine carved oak pulpit was erected in 1889. One of the carvings represents the archangel Michael, to whom the church is dedicated. A stained glass window represents the Angel of the Ascension. There is a Wesleyan chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.

The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.