Low and High Ireby, Cumberland
Ireby, Low and High, two villages, two townships, and a parish in Cumberland. The village of Low Ireby stands on the river Ellen, near Caldbeck Fells, 3 miles from Mealsgate station on the Maryport and Carlisle railway, and 7 SSW of Wigton; was once a market-town, and has now a post office under Carlisle; money order and telegraph office, Mealsgate. Acreage of the townships, 1200 and 2733; population, 295 and 95. The parish consists of the two townships. Ireby Grange, Whitefield House, and Ellenside House are chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle; net value, £250 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. The church was built in 1846. The chancel of the old church, which is very Early Norman work, still stands, about 1½ mile W of the village, supposed to be the old priory church, from which in early times the adjoining parishes were served. There is also a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Wigton|
|Ward||Allerdale below Derwent|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Low and High Ireby from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
The Visitation of Cumberland, 1615 is available on the Heraldry page.