St Nicholas, Devon
Nicholas, St, a parish in Devonshire, on the river Teign, at its mouth, opposite Teignmouth station on the G.W.R., and 5½ miles E of Newton Abbot. It contains the village of Shaldon, which has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Teignmouth; contains also part of Ringmore; is connected with Teignmouth by a bridge of thirty-five arches and 1680 feet long also by a ferry; runs out into the bold promontory called the Ness; has a fine beach, and many attractions to summer visitors; includes or commands much romantic scenery; contains many handsome villa residences; is a resort of invalids and sea-bathers; and had at one time a large shipbuilding yard. Acreage, 578; population of the civil parish, 1286; of the ecclesiastical, 1186. The manor belongs to Lord Clifford. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Patron, Lord Clifford. The original part of The old church foundations, dating back to the 12th century and rebuilt in 1667, had its beauty spoiled about 100 years ago by demolishing the N wall and adding a hideous three-walled structure in which the main part of the congregation sat, there being only room for about fifty people in the original church. The modern part was demolished in 1895, and the ancient part, thoroughly restored, is used as a mortuary chapel. A new church was built of red sandstone in 1894, and is a handsome structure. There are Congregational, Baptist, Wesleyan, and Bible Christian chapels, and a working men's club.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Newton-Abbott|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for St Nicholas from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Nicholas, St.)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cRingmore (St Nicholas)
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.