South Zeal, Devon
Zeal, South, a village in South Tawton parish, Devonshire, 4½ miles ESE of Okehampton station on the L. & S.W.R. , with a post office under Okehampton; money order office, Sticklepath; telegraph office, Okehampton. It was once a borough and a market-town, and it has a fine granite cross. There is a chapel of ease (St Mary's), and also a Bible Christian chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||South Tawton|
|Poor Law union||Oakhampton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for South Zeal from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Zeal, South)
Online maps of South Zeal are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.