Oldridge, a chapelry in St Thomas parish, Devonshire, 3 miles SW of Crediton station on the L. & S.W.R. Post town, Crediton (R.S.O.) The limits include only four farms and a few cottages. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Exeter; gross value, £70. The church was rebuilt in 1789; restored and enlarged in 1843 by Dr Medley, vicar of St Thomas and perpetual curate of Oldridge, afterwards Bishop of Fredericton from 1845 to 1892, and Metropolitan of Canada.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||St. Thomas|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Oldridge from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Oldridge)
Online maps of Oldridge are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.