Newport, a suburban village and an ecclesiastical parish in Devonshire. The village is suburban to Barnstaple, on its S side, near The railway station; has a post and money order office (T.S.O.); telegraph office, Barnstaple; was a borough, governed by a mayor, in the time of Henry VI.; and had, from the year 1294, a market and a fair which now are obsolete. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1847. Population, 1485. The church stands at the top of the village, and is a handsome and well-appointed edifice.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Bishop's Tawton|
|Poor Law union||Barnstaple|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Newport from the following:
Online maps of Newport are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.