Morwellham, a place, with an inn, on the W border of Devonshire, on the river Tamar, 4 miles SW of Tavistock. The Morwell Rocks, in the vicinity, are magnificent crags, rising to a great height, and crowned with shaggy pinnacles. Old Morwell House, near the S end of a tunnel of the Tavistock Canal, is an ancient quadrangular building in the Pointed style; was once a hunting-seat of the abbots of Tavistock; passed, with the abbey lands, at the dissolution, to the family of Russell; belongs now to the Duke of Bedford, has been restored, and is used as a farmhouse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.