Morice or Morice Town, Devon
Morice or Morice Town, a suburb of Devonport in Devonshire. The suburb lies on the NW of Devonport proper, beyond the lines with which the town and arsenal are surrounded; is included in Devonport borough; took its name from the Morices, who held the manor of Stock Damerelfrom-1677 till 1749; has wharves on the Hamoaze, Keyham steam basin, large and substantial naval barracks and engineer students' college, a block-house, a powder magazine, factories, breweries, and a steam ferry; and is inhabited chiefly by persons employed in the docks, or connected with them. The chapelry bears the name of St James the Great, and was constituted in 1846. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; value, £300. Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church is noticed in the article Devonport. There are several dissenting chapels, and a mission chapel known as St Chads.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.