Lazonby, a village, a township, and a parish in Cumberland. The village stands on the river Eden, 1 mile SW of Kirkoswald, with a station on the Midland railway, and a post, money order, and telegraph office (R.S.O.) Since 1891 the village has been supplied with water by gravitation, and a system of sewerage was completed in 1894. The township comprises 8378 acres; population, 719. The parish includes also the township of PIumpton Wall, is traversed by Watling Street, and contains within PIumpton Wall township vestiges of a Roman station, supposed to be Bremetenracum or Old Penrith. Acreage, 11, 430; population of the civil parish, 1036; of the ecclesiastical, 757. The manor belongs to the Musgrave family. Lazonby House is the seat of the Macleans. Much of the land is moor. Traces of a ruined moated castle are at Castle Rigg, and there are several cairns.
A very high rock with an artificial cave, called the Giant's Chamber or Sampson's Cave, is in Baron Wood. A number of the inhabitants are employed in the freestone and milling-stone quarries. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle; net value, £475 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Carlisle. The church was rebuilt in 1863 at a cost of, £5000 in the place of the former one, and consists of chancel, nave with four bays, south aisle, and a western tower. The vicarage of PIumpton Wall is a separate benefice. There are-Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels, and a lecture hall, library, and reading-room, erected in 1866.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Lazonby St. Nicholas|
|Poor Law union||Penrith|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Lazonby from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Lazonby (St. Nicholas))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Lazonby are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Villages, Hamlets, &cPlumpton Wall
The Visitation of Cumberland, 1615 is available on the Heraldry page.