Langwathby, a village and a parish in Cumberland, on the river Eden, near the boundary with Westmorland, 4½ miles NE of Penrith. There is a post and money order office (R.S.O.), and a station, with telegraph office, on a branch of the M.R. Acreage of parish, 2086, of which 50 are water; population, 328. The manor belongs to the Duke of Devonshire. A three-arched bridge, built in 1686, crosses the Eden. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Edenhall, in the diocese of Carlisle; joint net value, £195 with residence. Patron, the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners give the vicar of Edenhall an annual grant of £120 for a curate. The church was rebuilt in 1718, and repaired in 1835. There is a Wesleyan chapel, and there was formerly a famous racecourse, at which meetings were held during the reign of Queen Elizabeth.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Langwathby are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
The Visitation of Cumberland, 1615 is available on the Heraldry page.