UK Genealogy Archives logo

Lamplugh, Cumberland

Historical Description

Lamplugh, a village and a parish in Cumberland. The village lies on the SE of the Cleator and Egremont railway, on the Man-on Junction, near Rowrah and Wright Green stations, 9 miles ENE of Whitehaven, and has a post office under Cockermouth; money order and telegraph office, Frizington. The parish contains also Kelton, Murton, and Winder, and extends to Lowes Water, Acreage, 6342; population, 1180. The Lamplugh estate belonged in the time of Henry II., and long afterwards, to the Lamplugh family, who made a considerable figure in military achievements, and belongs now to the Brooksbanks family. Lamplugh Hall, the seat of the Brooksbanks, was recently replaced by a modern farmhouse, but a gateway which led to it, inscribed with the year 1595, still stands. Iron ore is mined, and limestone and freestone are quarried. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle; net value, £199 with residence. The church is ancient, consists of chance!, nave, S porch, and a bell-turret. It was restored in 1870, and a stained E window was erected in 1882. There are a church mission room and a Primitive Methodist chapel at Kelton.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyCumberland 
Ecclesiastical parishLamplugh St. Michael 
Poor Law unionWhitehaven 
WardAllerdale above Derwent 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Lamplugh from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Lamplugh are available from a number of sites:


Villages, Hamlets, &c

Kelton
Murton or Moortown

Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Cumberland, 1615 is available on the Heraldry page.

DistrictCopeland
CountyCumbria
RegionNorth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtCA14
Post TownWorkington