Horrabridge, an ecclesiastical parish in Devonshire. It was formed in 1866 out of the parishes of Buckland Mona-chorum, Sampford Spiney, Whitchurch, St Peter Tavy, and Walkhampton, and is situated on the river Walkham, 4 miles SSE of Tavistock and 217 from London. It has a station on the G.W.R., and a post, money order, and telegraph office (R.S.O.) Population, 792. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; value, £130 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Exeter. A handsome church was built and consecrated in 1893 on the site of an ancient chapel licensed in 1438, and dedicated to St John the Baptist. There are Wesleyan and Bible Christian chapels.
Online maps of Horrabridge are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.