Kirklinton, a parish in Cumberland, on the river Lyne, 4 miles ESE of Longtown railway station. It contains the townships of Middle Quarter and Hethersgill, and has a post and money order office under Carlisle; telegraph office, Long-town. Acreage, 11, 942; population of the civil parish, 1438; of the ecclesiastical, 999. West Linton was attached in 1871 to the ecclesiastical parish of Blackford. The manor belongs to the Kirklinton family, whose seat, Kirklinton Hall, succeeded a former ancient seat called Clough Hall, and was partly rebuilt in 1875. The living is a rectory, with Hethersgill annexed, in the diocese of Carlisle; net value, £168 with residence. The church, dedicated to St Cuthbert, was rebuilt in 1845 on the site of an ancient church, and is partly Norman. There is a Wesleyan chapel and a Friends' meetinghouse. The church at Hethersgill was erected in 1876 as a chapel of ease.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Kirklinton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Villages, Hamlets, &cKirklinton Bliddle
The Visitation of Cumberland, 1615 is available on the Heraldry page.