Kirkland, a township and a parish in Cumberland. The township lies adjacent to the Maiden Way and to the boundary with Westmorland, under Cross Fell, 5 miles from Temple Sowerby station on the N.E.R., 3 from Newbiggin station on the M.R., and 9 ENE of Penrith, includes the village of Blencarn, and bears the name of Kirkland-and-Blencarn. Post town, Carlisle; money order office, Temple Sowerby; telegraph office, Newbiggin. Area of township, 4066 acres; population, 179. The parish contains also the townships of Skirwith and Culgaith. Acreage, 6323; population, 799. Cross Fell, a limestone mountain, 2900 feet high, lies on the east. A lead mine is on the side of that mountain, at Bullman's Cleugh, and coal has been found at Ardale Head. Three artificial terraces, each about 200 yards long, are on the side of Bank Eidge, and remains of ancient buildings, called the Hanging Gardens of Mark Antony, are on the top. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle; net value,, £210 with residence, built in 1881. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. The church was rebuilt in 1880, and consists of chancel, nave, and western turret. The vicarages of Skirwith and Culgaith- are separate benefices. There is a Wesleyan chapel at Blencarn.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Kirkland St. Lawrence|
|Poor Law union||Penrith|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Kirkland from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Kirkland (St. Lawrence))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
Villages, Hamlets, &cBlencarn
The Visitation of Cumberland, 1615 is available on the Heraldry page.