Harbertonford, a hamlet and an ecclesiastical parish formed out of Harberton parish, Devonshire. The hamlet lies near Harberton village, has a post and money order office, designated Harbertonford; telegraph office, Totnes, and contains the edge-tool manufactory of the parish and a large woollen factory. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1860. Population, 608. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; value, £275 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of Harberton. There are Congregational and Baptist chapels.
The register dates from the year 1859.
Church of England
St. Peter (parish church)
The church of St. Peter is a building of stone in the Decorated style, erected in 1859, and consists of chancel with apse, transept, nave, north porch and a small belfry with spire, containing one bell, dated 1859: the chancel windows are stained: the church will seat 280 persons.
Online maps of Harbertonford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.