Halwill, a parish in Devonshire, with a station on the L. & S.W.R., 210 miles from London. A new section of the main line, about 14 miles long, was opened from this place to Launceston in 1886, and extended to Delabole in 1893. Post town and money order office, Beaworthy; telegraph office, Halwill Junction railway station. Acreage, 3472; population, 418. The surface is very hilly. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; value, £185 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church was rebuilt in 1879. It is in the Perpendicular style. There is a Baptist chapel.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Online maps of Halwill are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.