Haldon, Great and Little, Devon
Haldon, Great and Little, a range of hills in Devonshire, between the rivers Exe and Teign. It commences about 4¼ miles SW of Exeter, extends 7 miles south-south-eastward to the neighbourhood of Dawlish, and has an altitude of 818 feet above sea-level. Great Haldon is the northern part, and has a similar geological character to the Black-down Hills; Little Haldon is the southern part, and has a green sand surface, overtopped in some places by great blocks of quartziferous porphyry, and the entire range in all directions is studded with barrows. Haldon House, near the north end of Great Haldon, is the seat of Lord Haldon; was built in 1735 by the Chudleighs; contains a collection of oriental china and some fine paintings, and stands amid grounds which have a statue of General Lawrence on a spot commanding an extensive view of land and sea. The Exeter racecourse is 2A- miles S by W of Haldon House.