Grassington, a market-town and township in Linton parish, and a polling-place for the Skipton division of the W.R. Yorkshire, lying on the river Wharfe, 8½ miles N of Skipton railway station, and with a post, money order, and telegraph office under Skipton. Acreage, 5802; population, 480. There are a worsted mill and lead mines in the neighbourhood. A fair is held on 24 April. Grassington Moor is rich in minerals. There are Congregational, Wesleyan, and Primitive Methodist chapels, and a mechanics' institute, built in 1855 at the expense of the Duke of Devonshire, who is lord of the manor.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.