Goodrington, a hamlet in Paignton parish, Devonshire. Goodshaw, a village and an ecclesiastical parish formed from the civil parish of Whalley, Lancashire, 2 miles NE of Haslingden railway station. The parish was constituted in 1850, and its post town is Eawtenstall, under Manchester. It comprises the village of Crawshaw Booth and the hamlets of Sunnyside, Goodshaw Fold, and Love Clongh. There is a post, money order, and telegraph office at Crawshaw Booth. Population, 6073. There are cotton factories, calico printing works, collieries, and quarries. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester; net value, £300 with residence. Patrons, Hulme's Trustees. The church, dating from about 1540, was rebuilt in 1829. Another church was erected in 1891-92, at a cost of about £12, 000. There are Baptist, Wesleyan, Free Methodist, and Primitive Methodist chapels, Liberal and Conservative clubs, and a mechanics' institute.
Online maps of Goodrington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.