Kirkbride, a village and a parish in Cumberland, at the mouth of the Wampool river, 5½ miles NNW of Wigton. There are two stations, one on the Carlisle and Silloth railway, the other (Whitrigg) on the Caledonian railway, and a post office under Silloth (R.S.O.); money order office, Abbey Town; telegraph office, Dmmbnrgh railway station. Acreage, 1667; population, 370. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle; net value, £170 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Lonsdale. The church is an ancient building in the Norman style. There are also Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Kirk-Bride St. Bridget|
|Poor Law union||Wigton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Kirkbride from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Kirk-Bride (St. Bridget))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Kirkbride are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
The Visitation of Cumberland, 1615 is available on the Heraldry page.