Esprick, a hamlet in Greenaigh township, Kirkham parish, Lancashire, 3r miles NNW of Kirkham. Esseburn. See ASHBORKTE. Essebury. See ASHBURY, Devonshire. Esseby. See ASHBY-DE-LA-ZOUCH. Essendine, a village and a parish in Rutland, contiguous to Lincoln, and on the G.N.R., 4½ miles NNE from Stamford, with a station on the railway, and two branch lines strike off hence to respectively Stamford and Bourn. There is a post office under Stamford; money order and telegraph office, Stamford. Acreage, 1477; population, 177. The manor belonged, at Domesday, to the bishops of Lincoln, and had a castle. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Ryhall, in the diocese of Peterborough; joint net yearly value, £60 with residence, in the gift of the Marquis of Exeter. Th& church is Norman, and has an elaborately sculptured Norman tympanum over south door, representing the Salvator Mundi in glory. One of the titles of the Marquis of Salisbury is Baron Essendine of Rutland, whose ancestors owned the property up to 1812, it having formerly belonged to Queen Elizabeth's great lord treasurer, Burghley.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.