Escot, a chapelry in Ottery St Mary and Talaton parishes, Devonshire, on the river Otter, adjacent to Ottery Road station on the L. & S.W.R., and 2 miles NNW of Ottery St Mary. It was constituted in 1844. Posst town, Ottery St Mary under Exeter; money order and telegraph office, Ottery St Mary. Population, 408. Escot House is the seat of the Kennaway family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; gross value, —£220 with residence. Patron, Sir J. Kennaway, Bart. The church was built in 1840, is a neat edifice, and contains a handsome monument of the Kennaway family.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.