Kirk Andrews upon Esk, Cumberland
Kirk Andrews-upon-Esk, a parish in Eskdale ward, Cumberland, adjacent to the North British railway, near the boundary with Scotland, half a mile from Scotch Dyke railway station, but extending 20 miles contiguously with Scotland along Kershope burn and the rivers Liddel, Esk, and Sark, to the Solway Frith. It is traversed over the greater part of its length by the Carlisle line of the North British railway, and is also crossed, near the Solway Firth, by the Caledonian railway. It consists of the townships of Middle Quarter, Moat Quarter, and Nether Quarter, and the chapelry of Nichol Forest Post town and money order office, Longtown (R.S.O.); telegraph office, Riddings Junction railway station. Acreage, 19, 146; population of the civil parish, 1339; of the ecclesiastical, 792. Part of the surface is moor and bog. The manor belongs to the Graham family, of Netherby Hall. Solway Moss, in the S, was the scene of a defeat of the Scots in 1542, and Esk Bridge was the scene of a disaster to the rebels in 1745. An ancient Border fortalice, consisting of a large square three-storey tower, formerly defended with an iron door, is near the church, and is now used as a farmhouse. Freestone is extensively quarried. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle; gross value, £645. The church was rebuilt in 1775 on the site of an older one; a chancel was added in 1893. The vicarage of Nichol Forest is a separate benefice.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Kirk-Andrews-upon-Esk St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Longtown|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Kirk Andrews upon Esk from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Kirk-Andrews-upon-Esk (St. Andrew))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
Villages, Hamlets, &cKirk Andrews Middle Quarter
Kirk Andrews Moat Quarter
Kirk Andrews Nether Quarter
The Visitation of Cumberland, 1615 is available on the Heraldry page.