Kingwater, a township in Lanercost parish, Cumberland, on a streamlet of its own name, a tributary of the Irthing, among the moors near the boundary with Northumberland, 8 miles NE of Brampton. Acreage, 18, 770; population, 301. There is a post office at West Hall, a hamlet in this township; money order and telegraph office, Brampton.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Lanercost Abbey|
|Poor Law union||Brampton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Kingwater from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Kingwater)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.