UK Genealogy Archives logo

Compton Castle, Devon

Historical Description

Compton Castle, an ancient seat, now a farmhouse, 4¼ miles S of Newton Bushel, in Devonshire. It belonged to successively the Poles, the Comptons, and the Gilberts, and passed, about the beginning of the nineteenth century, to the Templars. It has a machicolated gateway, and shows other features of the fortified mansion of the time of Edward III.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5