Kaber, a township in Kirkby Stephen parish, Westmorland, 2½ miles NE of Kirkby Stephen, with a station on the M.R. and N.E.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Kirkby Stephen. Acreage, 4581; population, 163. The manor belonged to the Kaberghs, passed to the Fulthorps, the Wandesworths, and the Wadesons, and now belongs to Lord Hothfield. A Republican rising, known as the Kaber Rigg Plot, took place here in 1663. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel. The free school has been closed since 1892, pending the issue of a scheme by Charity Commissioners.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||East ward|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Kaber from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Kaber)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Westmorland is available to browse.