UK Genealogy Archives logo

Boringdon, Devon

Historical Description

Boringdon, the ancient seat of the Parkers, Earls of Morley, in Devon, on the Catwater, 5½ miles N of Plymouth. The mansion was built about the middle of the 14th century, but is now reduced to a fragment, used as a farmhouse. The grounds contain a Roman camp, and command most brilliant views. The Earls of Morley take from Boringdon the titles of Viscount and Baron,

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5