Irthington, a village and a parish in Cumberland. The village stands on the right side of the river Irthing, near the Roman wall, 3 miles from Brampton Junction station on the N.E.R., and has a post office under Carlisle; money order and telegraph office, Brampton. The parish contains also the villages of Newby, Laversdale, and Newtown. Acreage, 7390; population, 764. The Nook, formerly the manor house, is a farmhouse. A castle stood-here in the Norman times, perhaps also in the Saxon times, but is now represented by only a mound. Many ancient coins have been found. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle; gross value, £43 with residence. The church is Transition Norman, was originally built all of Roman stone, and shows indications of having been the scene of fierce encounters in the times of the Border feuds. The nave and aisles were restored in 1849, and the chancel in 1853.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Irthington St. Kentigern|
|Poor Law union||Brampton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Irthington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Irthington (St. Kentigern))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Irthington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Villages, Hamlets, &cLaversdale
The Visitation of Cumberland, 1615 is available on the Heraldry page.