Hutton in the Forest, Cumberland
Hutton-in-the-Forest, a village and a parish in Cumberland. The parish lies in Inglewood Forest, near the river Petterill and the Lancaster and Carlisle railway, 3 miles NW of Plumpton station on the L. & N.W.R., and 6 NW by N of Penrith. It comprises also New Eent. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Penrith. Acreage, 2462; population, 226. The manor belonged anciently to the Buttons; and, with Hutton Hall, belongs now to the Vane family. Traces existed of an ancient fortification called Collinson Castle. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle; net value, £110 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. There is a Wesleyan chapel at Hutton End.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Hutton-In-The-Forest St. James|
|Poor Law union||Penrith|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hutton in the Forest from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Hutton-In-The-Forest (St. James))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Hutton in the Forest are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Villages, Hamlets, &cThomas Close
The Visitation of Cumberland, 1615 is available on the Heraldry page.