Appledore, a seaport village and a chapelry in Northam parish, Devon. The village stands on the bay at the mouths of the rivers Torridge and Taw, 1 mile from Instow station on the Torrington branch of the L. & S.W.R. There is a post, money order, and telegraph office. Population, 2449. It has pleasant environs. Hubba the Dane landed here in the time of King Alfred, but was taken in the neighbourhood, and put to death. The chapelry includes the village, and was constituted in 1844. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; value, £300. Patron, the Vicar of Northam. The church is a neat edifice, and there are chapels for Congregationalists, Baptists, and Wesleyans. There is a dry dock, patent slip, and a quay. A fair trade is done in sliipbuilding and importing timber from Norway and Sweden.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Bideford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Appledore from the following:
Online maps of Appledore are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.