Swanwick, a hamlet and an ecclesiastical parish in Alfreton parish, Derbyshire, 2½ miles SW by S of Alfreton railway station. The parish was constituted in 1861; and it has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Alfreton. Population, 1934. Swanwick Hall, the Grange, and the Hayes are chief residences. Coal is largely worked. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; gross value, £172 with residence. The church was built in 1860, is in the Geometric style, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, N porch, and bell turret. There are Baptist and Free and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Belper|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Swanwick from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Swanwick)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Swanwick are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: