Somercotes, a large village, forming part of the ecclesiastical parish of Biddings, in Alfreton parish, Derbyshire, 2 miles SE of Alfreton. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Alfreton. A small weekly market is held on Fridays. There are a chapel of ease, and Primitive, Wesleyan, and Free Methodist chapels.
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Somercotes are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: