Riber, a hamlet in Matlock parish, Derbyshire, on an eminence 1 mile SE of Matlock. Riber Castle is a fine structure on Riber Hill, 850 feet above sea-level, commanding most extensive views. Riber Hall, an ancient building, is now used as a farmhouse. There is a Free Methodist chapel near Riber Castle.
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Riber are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: