UK Genealogy Archives logo

Matlock Bridge, Derbyshire

Historical Description

Matlock Bridge is the chief business part of Matlock parish, Derbyshire, on the river Derwent, and has a station on the M.R., a post, money order, and telegraph office under Matlock Bath, three banks, and a Free Methodist chapel. A market-hall and assembly-room was erected by a company in 1867, but thehe buildings have since become private property, and are used for various meetings, including county courts in alternate months, and entertainments. A cable tramway connects this place with Matlock Bank. A market is held. every Saturday.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in conjunction with the Derbyshire Record Office, have the Church of England Baptisms (1538-1916), Marriages and Banns (1538-1932), and Burials (1538-1991) online.


Land and Property

A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.


Maps

Online maps of Matlock Bridge are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: