Holme, East Waver, Cumberland
Holme, East Waver, a township in Holme Cultram parish, Cumberland, on the river Waver, near Morecambe Bay, Abbey Town village and railway station. Acreage, 5531 of land and water, and 1573 of tidal water and foreshore; population, 421. The village of Newton Arlosh is here, was once a market-town, and has a fortified church, built about the year 1303, and restored in 1843, after being for many years in ruins. The township appears to be conterminate with Newton Arlosh chapelry. Holme Eden, a village and an ecclesiastical parish formed from Wetheral and Hayton parishes, Cumberland, on the river Eden, near Wetheral railway station, and 4 miles W of Carlisle. The parish was constituted in 1843, and includes the villages of Corby Hill and Little Corby. Post town, Carlisle; money order and telegraph office, Wetheral. Population, 726. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle; gross value, £312 with residence.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.