UK Genealogy Archives logo

Lea, Derbyshire

Historical Description

Lea, a village forming part of the township of Dethick and Lea, in Dethick ecclesiastical parish, Ashover parish, Derbyshire, near the river Derwent and the M.R., 2A- miles. SE of Matlock, and 2 from Cromford railway station. It has a post office under Matlock Bath; money order and telegraph office, Lea Bridge. There are a Wesleyan chapel, spacious-schools erected in 1860 under supervision of Miss Florence-Nightingale, lead-smelting works, and spinning and hosiery manufactories. Lea Hurst, in the neighbourhood, is a handsome Gothic mansion, the seat of the Lee family, and possesses interest in having been for many years the residence of Miss Florence Nightingale. See DETHICK.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in conjunction with the Derbyshire Record Office, have the Church of England Baptisms (1538-1916), Marriages and Banns (1538-1932), and Burials (1538-1991) online.


Land and Property

A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.


Maps

Online maps of Lea are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online:

DistrictAmber Valley
CountyDerbyshire
RegionEast Midlands
CountryEngland
Postal districtDE4
Post TownMatlock