Langwith Bassett , Derbyshire
Langwith Bassett or Upper Langwith, a small village and a parish in Derbyshire, contiguous to Notts, 6 miles NNW of Mansfield, and 9 ESE of Chesterfield, with a station on the Mansfield and Worksop branch of the M.R., and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Mansfield. Acreage, 1510; population, 274. There are extensive malt-ings. The manor and most of the land belong to the Duke of Devonshire. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £177 with residence. Patron, the Duke of Devonshire. The church is an old building in the Early English style, which was thoroughly restored and enlarged in 1878; it contains a handsome font given by Lady and Admiral Egerton at the time of the restoration.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Langwith St. Helen
|Poor Law union
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Langwith Bassett from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Langwith (St. Helen))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: