UK Genealogy Archives logo

Langley Mill, Derbyshire

Historical Description

Langley Mill, a village partly in Heanor parish, Derbyshire, partly in Eastwood parish, Notts, on the Erewash river, adjacent to the Erewash Canal and the Erewash Valley railway, 8½ miles N of Ilkeston. It has a station on the railway, a post, money order, and telegraph office (E.S.O.), a large corn mill, wheel and waggon works, and an iron and brass foundry. There are a chapel of ease, and Baptist, Primitive and Free Methodist, and Wesleyan chapels.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in conjunction with the Derbyshire Record Office, have the Church of England Baptisms (1538-1916), Marriages and Banns (1538-1932), and Burials (1538-1991) online.


Land and Property

A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.


Maps

Online maps of Langley Mill are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online:

DistrictAmber Valley
CountyDerbyshire
RegionEast Midlands
CountryEngland
Postal districtNG16
Post TownNottingham