Ironville with Codnor Park, Derbyshire
Ironville-with-Codnor Park, an ecclesiastical parish in Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire. The village stands at the end of the Pinxton Canal, close to the Cromford Canal, half a mile N of Codnor Park station on the G.N.R. and M.R., and 3½ miles SE of Alfreton; has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Alfreton, and a weekly market on Saturday. The ecclesiastical parish was formed in 1852 from portions of Gelston and Pentrich and Alfreton parishes, and Codnor Park liberty. Population, 3013 in Derbyshire and 285 in Notts. The inhabitants are employed chiefly in iron and steel works, and there are collieries in the neighbourhood. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; gross value, £250 with residence. The church was built in 1852 by the Butterley Iron Company, consists of nave, transepts, and chancel, with a tower, and was partially renovated in 1885. There are also a Free Methodist chapel erected in 1874, and one for Primitive Methodists erected in 1883-84. A large park in the neighbourhood is used as a recreation ground.
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: