Great Wilne, Derbyshire
Wilne, Great, a village in Shardlow parish, Derbyshire, half a mile S of Church Wilne on the river Derwent, and 1½ from Castle Donington station on the M.R. There is a Methodist New Connexion chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Aston upon Trent|
|Hundred||Morleston and Litchurch|
|Poor Law union||Shardlow|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Great Wilne from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Wilne, Far, or Great, with Shardlow)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Great Wilne are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: