Great Rowsley, Derbyshire
Rowsley, Great, a village and a township in Bakewell parish, and an ecclesiastical parish partly also in Darley and Youlgreave parishes, Derbyshire. The village stands on the river Derwent, at the influx of the Wye, and on a section of the M.R., 3½ miles SE of Bakewell, and has a station, a post, money order, and telegraph office (S.O.), both of the name of Rowsley. The township comprises 679 acres of land and 21 of water; population, 301. The manor belongs to the Duke of Rutland. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1860. Population, 512. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; gross value, £185 with residence. Patron, the Duke of Rutland. The church was built in 1855, and enlarged in 1859, and includes a mortuary chapel containing a fine monument to Lady John Manners. Stanton Woodhouse, an ancient mansion standing in a well-timbered park, was formerly one of the seats of the Duke of Rutland.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Bakewell|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Great Rowsley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Rowsley, Great)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: