Femilee, a township in Hope parish, Derbyshire, 6 miles NNE of Tideswell, and 2 from Whaley Bridge station on the L. & N.W.R. Post town, Whaley Bridge. Acreage, 2764; population, 1233. There is a small iron church, a Wesleyan chapel, and two Schools.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Chapel-en-le-Frith|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Fernilee from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Fernilee)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Fernilee are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: