Cressbrook, a manufacturing village in the township and parish of Tideswell, Derbyshire, on the banks of the river Wye, 2¼ miles SE of Tideswell. It has a post office under Bnxton; money order office, Tideswell; telegraph office, Longstone railway station. Cressbrook Hall is a chief residence. The inhabitants are employed in the extensive cotton mills. There is a mission church here in connection with Tideswell parish church.
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Cressbrook are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: