Cotmanhay, an ecclesiastical parish in Derbyshire. It lies near the Erewash river, canal, and railway, at the boundary with Notts, 1½ mile N of Ilkeston. The parish was constituted in 1845, and it has a post and money order office under Ilkeston (R.S.O.) Population, 4387. Coal is found in abundance. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; gross value, £200 with residence. The church, a building in the Early English style, was erected in 1847-48. There are also two Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Hundred||Morleston and Litchurch|
|Poor Law union||Basford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Cotmanhay from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Cotmanhay)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Cotmanhay are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: