Chinley forms with Bugsworth and Brownside a township in Glossop parish, Derbyshire, around Chinley railway station, 2 miles NNW of Chapel-en-le-Fritb. It is the-junction of the Dore and Chinley branch of the M.R., opened in 1894, by which the distance from Manchester to Sheffield was considerably reduced. It has a post and money order office under Stockport; telegraph office, Stockport. There-are paper and cotton-wool mills. Acreage, 3831; population, 1542. There is a Congregational chapel, served originally by William Bagshaw, " the Apostle of the Peak."
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Chapel-en-le-Frith|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Chinley from the following:
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Chinley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: