UK Genealogy Archives logo

Calow, Derbyshire

Historical Description

Calow, a township in Chesterfield parish, Derbyshire 2¼ miles E of Chesterfield, which is the post town and money order and telegraph office. Acreage, 1332; population, 609. Earl Manvers is lord of the manor. Coal is worked. There is a chapel of ease of 1867, and Congregational and Primitive Methodist chapels.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyDerbyshire 
Civil parishChesterfield 
HundredScarsdale 
Poor Law unionChesterfield 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in conjunction with the Derbyshire Record Office, have the Church of England Baptisms (1538-1916), Marriages and Banns (1538-1932), and Burials (1538-1991) online.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Calow from the following:


Land and Property

A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.


Maps

Online maps of Calow are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online:

DistrictNorth East Derbyshire
CountyDerbyshire
RegionEast Midlands
CountryEngland
Postal districtS44
Post TownChesterfield