Butterley, a hamlet in Ripley township, Derbyshire, is a seat of ironworks, 2½ miles S of Alfreton. It has a post office under Derby; money order and telegraph office, Ripley. The works were begun in 1792, and lie amid a rich tract of coal and lime; they soon began to employ about 1500 men, and to make magnificent castings; and they possess ready means of transport by railway and canal, being close to the Cromford Canal, and having a branch line from Codnor Park station.
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: