Borrowash, a village in Ockbrook parish, Derbyshire, on the M.R., near the Derby Canal and the Derwent river, 4½ miles ESE of Derby, and 128 from London. It has a station on the railway, a post, money order, and telegraph office under Derby, and Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels. Elvaston Castle, the seat of the Earl of Harrington, is near it.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Shardlow|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Borrowash from the following:
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Borrowash are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: