Birch Vale, Derbyshire
Birch Vale, a village in Hayfield parish, Derbyshire, 175 miles from London, with a station on the Sheffield and Midland Joint railway. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Stockport. There are large calico-printing works and quarries and coal pits; also a Methodist chapel.
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Birch Vale are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: